top of page


Licensed paralegals can only appear before the Immigration and Refugee Board (IRB) to represent client(s) in an IRB hearing. Legal services for matters relating to an IRB hearing can also be provided by licensed paralegals.


Note: This information is for guidance and reference only. A decision on your admissibility can only be made when you apply to come to Canada or at a port of entry.

Some people are not allowed to come to Canada. They are known as “inadmissible” under Canada’s Immigration and Refugee Protection Act (IRPA).

There are a number of reasons you can be found inadmissible, denied a visa or refused entry to Canada such as:

  • you are a security risk,

  • you have committed human or international rights violations, 

  • you have been convicted of a crime, or you have committed an act outside Canada that would be a crime,

  • you have ties to organized crime, 

  • you have a serious health problem, 

  • you have a serious financial problem, 

  • you lied in your application or in an interview, 

  • you do not meet the conditions in Canada’s immigration law, or 

  • one of your family members is not allowed into Canada.


A person may be denied a visa, refused entry to, or removed from Canada on any of these grounds:

  • Security reasons, including

    • Espionage.

    • Subversion (attempts to overthrow a government, etc.).

    • Violence or terrorism, or 

    • Membership in an organization involved in any of these Human or international rights violations, including 

    • War crimes

    • Crimes against humanity

    • Being a senior official in a government engaged in gross human rights violations or subject to international sanctions

  • Committing a serious crime that would be punishable by a maximum prison term of at least 10 years in Canada (see note 1).

  • Having been convicted of a crime, including driving while under the influence of drugs or alcohol. 

  • Organized crime, including membership in an organization that takes part in organized criminal activity, people smuggling or money laundering.

  • Health grounds – if their condition is likely to: 

    • Endanger public health or public safety, or 

    • Cause excessive demands on health or social services (some exceptions exist – see notes 2 and 3).

  • Financial reasons – if they are unable or unwilling to support themselves and their family members

  • Misrepresentation, which includes providing false information or withholding information directly related to decisions made under the Immigration and Refugee Protection Act (IRPA

  • Failure to comply with any provision of IRPA,Examples of failure to comply with IRPA include:

    • Temporary residents who do not respect the conditions of their stay—for example, they stay longer than allowed, or work or study without the proper permits.

    • Permanent residents who have not lived in Canada for the required amount of time and 

    • People who have previously been deported and try to enter Canada without written authorization.In some cases you may need an Authorization to return to Canada (ARC) in order to be admitted to Canada.or.

  • Having an inadmissible family member.



Under Canada’s immigration law, if you have committed or been convicted of a crime, you may not be allowed into Canada. In other words, you may be “criminally inadmissible.”

This includes both minor and serious crimes, such as:

  • Theft,

  • Assault,

  • Manslaughter,

  • Dangerous driving,

  • Driving while under the influence of drugs or alcohol, and,

  • Possession of or trafficking in drugs or controlled substances.



Depending on the crime, how long ago it was and how you have behaved since, you may still be allowed to come to Canada, if you:

  • Convince an immigration officer that you meet the legal terms to be deemed rehabilitated, or

  • Applied for rehabilitation and were approved, or

  • Were granted a record suspension or

  • Have a temporary resident permit.



There are different programs that allow you to immigrate to Canada permanently. These are some of the programs you can apply to immigrate to Canada:

  • Federal skilled workers.

  • Federal Skilled Trades Program.

  • Quebec selected skilled workers.

  • Canadian Experience Class.

  • Start-up visa.

  • Self-employed Persons Program.

  • Family sponsorship.

  • Provincial nominees.

  • Live-in caregivers.

  • Refugees.



Our associates will only accept clients who have the best chance of success. If after reviewing your situation we feel that you will not qualify to make a successful application, we will be honest with you, and you will not be left with false hopes or have spent money needlessly.

You will have peace of mind knowing if you qualify now, or what you will need to do to qualify in the future. Canadian Immigration law is complex. Allow us to guide you through the process from start to finish. Discover the difference of working with our team of friendly experienced professionals.


We'd love to hear from you



3500 Dufferin St #201

North York, ON

M3K 1N2

Phone: 416 638 0919

Fax: 416 638 0928


bottom of page